Wednesday, March 26, 2014

HERE COMES THE SUN



A few weeks ago, we woke up to this--a bright blue sky and sun shine.  And surprisingly, it was warm enough to run around outside in shorts.  It was supposed to snow the next day or something, so we seized the day and stepped outside to let our sun-deprived skin see the light of day. 

Since our bikes were trapped in the abyss that is our garage, we settled on playing tennis.  Neither of us are fantastic, but we did have some pretty good rallies.  We played a long time and tried to serve as hard as we could (more on that later).
After our rousing game of tennis, Wade mentioned that he had never had a Slurpee.  I gasped in utter shock.  How had this tasty treat eluded a Midwestern boy?

Have you ever had a Slurpee?  I don't mean a variation of an icy cold treat, I mean a true Slurpee.  From 7-Eleven.  If you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying one while basking in the sun, then put that on your bucket list.  You might think it's like an Icee, snow cone, flavored ice, etc., but there is only one drink that perfectly combines crushed ice and liquid in my opinion (and I've done plenty of research).

I grew up on these things.  Every day after school my mom would take me to get a Slurpee as an afternoon treat.  Literally every day.  (I have the best mom.)  I haven't had one in years, though, so decided it was high time to reignite my passion and bring Wade in on the fun.


So a lot was accomplished on this day.  We got some vitamin D, revisited a favorite childhood treat, and I found these boxes and place mats.  There's just something about black and white polka dots and big colorful flowers.


It was a beautiful day.  The next day, though, was not as great.  Apparently we should have stretched more, or we're just getting old because we were SO sore from playing tennis.  Really sore.  I pulled my shoulder and inner thigh muscles so I was hobbling around and Wade's back hurt so bad he couldn't sleep.  I guess that's just some of the joys of getting older.  You can't pick up a tennis racket and try to hit the ball as hard as you possibly can without having a few repercussions.  Next time we'll be more careful.  

Now all this talk about Slurpees has made me thirsty:)

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful couple of days. I like to play a little tennis with the boys from time to time. It's easy to pull a muscle or two, I know. We're lucky to have a free court where we live, it's too good an offer to miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice you have a free court close to you. We have a few relatively close, too. Hopefully the weather will get nice again soon, so we can try again (but this time be more careful:)

      Delete
  2. My fiance and I like playing tennis together, too! It is such a fun way to get outside and be active together!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Darcy! Hopefully this Kansas weather will be nice soon (maybe Sunday?) so that we can attempt to play again:)

      Delete
  3. Andrew (boyfriend) and I play tennis every once in a while! A few summers ago we played it everyday but I am still just sooo bad at it that it was more of a game of "hit the ball over the net and then I squeal and get excited and then miss!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually hitting the ball over the net is cause for excitement in my opinion:) I want to keep playing this summer and get really good and then join some doubles tournament:) I would fold under the pressure, though:)

      Delete
  4. I highly doubt Angel and I could play tennis together because I would be a complete failure at the game--but it sounds like quite a good workout if it's enough to leave you both in pain. Ouch! The things we do to ourselves when warm weather finally comes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Rachel! Maybe a leisurely walk is more up our alley:)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day! I could use some of that Vitamin D myself! My skin is practically transparent.

    I will now have the Beatles song stuck in my head for the rest of the day after reading your title. :) Not that that's a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have it in my head, too:) It does make me happy:)

      Delete
  6. slurpees are the best =] love your blog btw, glad I came across it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rebecca! I appreciate it your nice comment about my blog and the fact that you love slurpees, too:)

      Delete
  7. Man, we don't have any 7 Elevens out here, so my slurpees are few and far between, but I love em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one who sees how wonderful they are!

      Delete
  8. That sounds like a lovely day! I remember slurpees although I was never really a fan. We used to walk to school every day and I remember stopping by dairy queen for a dipped cone on the way home. That was a nice memory. :)

    That sucks you pulled a muscle. Those are never fun. I hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dipped cone from dairy queen sounds pretty delicious, too:) Thanks, Karla!

      Delete
  9. I love Slurpees- but I haven't had one in ages! I was always a sucker for the piña colada flavor whenever they had it. How did Wade like his Slurpee?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you not know this about your man?? I'm so glad you took care of that...he's been totally missing out! Now, those were the days! I remember them well. It was a highlight of having a play date with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!