Wednesday, January 22, 2014

WHY I MAY BECOME A HOARDER

So I went out today to buy some felt in this very specific color that I have been buying at the same place for years.  Two weeks ago it wouldn't have mattered to me if I couldn't find it, but now I've thought of a new project that hinges on this very color of felt.  And you know what?  They didn't have it.

After years of becoming lulled into a false sense of security that the store that has a million bajillion things, and every other color of felt, I was shocked that the one thing I actually wanted to buy wasn't there any more.  Argh!

This seems like it happens all the time.  I'll find something I really like and either not buy it, or not buy enough of it, only to find out it's no longer there.  This has got me thinking about hoarding.  Maybe these people have got it right.  I bet they never wake up in night sweats after having another nightmare about that purse they should have bought.  No way.  All they would have to do is sift through the mountain of junk in their living room to find it nestled in there with its price tag still on.

I kid, mostly.  I've been trying to not turn to the dark side ever since I wore through my favorite pair of black flats and can't find any near as comfy, but I feel that Wade is changing my way of thinking.

When we moved into our house, I was unpacking a box of shoes he had.  I thought it was some sort of magic box, because I kept pulling out the same running shoe over and over again.  It was not the same shoe.  The problem was that he had four pairs of the same shoe!  I was flabbergasted and demanded to know what the meaning of this was.  He calmly explained that he really liked that style so he stocked up during a sale.  Now he was set for years to come. 

"But what if they come out with some great new style or color that you want instead?", I asked.  He insisted that at least these were tried and true and would always fit him just right.

Interesting.  Cut to today, and I wish I had bought 20, nay 50, pieces of that felt.  It's only $.30 a piece, so I would have been crazy not to, right?  Where does it stop, though?  How would I have known 6 months ago that A. I would need all that felt or B. they would stop carrying that color?  I'm thinking that this is how "good deals" become a huge waste of money.  Buying something on sale, but buying 5 of it doesn't really translate into any cost savings.  I guess it's just a roll of the dice in this game we call life.  I'm keeping that extra pair of fleece leggings in the back of my closet, though.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive 20 minutes out of my way to another location of the store to see if they have it.  I could probably find it online, but where's the fun in that?  There's just something about the thrill of the hunt.

Now I'm looking around the house, wondering what I need back ups for before it's too late.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this:)

4 comments:

  1. It drives me nuts when they stop producing something I use. They've stopped making a veggie roast that the whole family like (this is SO rare) and it's getting very hard to find the moisturiser I use. I have stocked up, you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buying anything nearly always feels like a gamble. I'm not much of a "stock up" type of person--for reasons that you mentioned. When my husband found out that his favorite hair gel was being discontinued, he bought tons. I'd be more the type of person to just switch brands. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only experience I can think of right now is buying out a certain kind of mascara for a friend leaving for Europe. She probably had a few years worth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had the space in my apartment to stock up! Unfortunately, all my closets and drawers are already filled to capacity. Once I have a bigger space, all bets are off!

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!