Thursday, August 22, 2013

PEICD (PROJECTS EVEN I CAN DO): SURPRISE BALLOONS

I have a new niece!  My sister popped out another cute kiddo about a week ago.  Since we don't live that close, we'll be visiting them in a few weeks.  I wanted to send a little something now, though, since we're so excited to have a new addition to the family.  I found a cute outfit for the baby, but wanted a fun little something for her (now) big sister.  Isn't that the rule?  When you give one kid a present, you have to give the other one a present, too?  I found a cute necklace/bracelet set in her favorite color and bought some stickers to send, too.  Since I give stickers a lot (who doesn't love stickers?), I came up with a fun way to send them...in surprise balloons!

I got the idea from Pinterest when I saw people putting money in balloons and then having the recipients pop them to get the goods.  Stickers+balloons= kid gold.  The steps are super simple, and you could replace the stickers with just about anything.

Step 1:  Cute out some stickers.  The smaller the sizes, the easier it will be to get them in the balloon.

Step 2:  Stack all the stickers together and squeeze through a 12 inch size balloon opening.  I had smaller balloons, but you really need to get a balloon that is at least 12 inches since the ends aren't that stretchy.

Step 3:  Once the stickers are inside, blow up the balloon normally and tie the end.  Then play with it for a while, because kids aren't the only ones who think balloons are fun.

Step 4:  Then hold the balloon up (away from your face), pop it with a pin, and watch all the goodies cascade down.  I created a gif of the pictures of me popping the balloon, because it's hilarious at how scared I got when the balloon popped.  It was louder than I expected, so not sure how great this will be for a little tyke to do.  (**After I realized how loud the pop was, I was rethinking the whole thing.  I included a note in the package warning of the loudness, so they can always just not blow up the balloon and cut the stickers out.  Popping the balloon might be more fun for an older kid.)

  Step 5:  Take your reward.

I added a little tag on the balloons and then included it with the rest of the items I was sending in the little fun package.
I'm so excited to meet this sweet little girl.  My sister and brother-in-law didn't find out what gender they were having before the baby came shooting out, so it was a fun surprise for everyone.  They already have a little girl, so most bets were on her having a boy.  When I heard that it was a girl, though, I was so excited.  Having a sister is such a treasure.  My sister has always been the best big sis, so knowing that these little ladies will have each other as sisters is just such a cool thing.  Oh, they'll be fights and tears, but there will also be a friendship that will last a lifetime no matter what.

12 comments:

  1. Awww You are so sweet. Your nieces are so lucky to have you! I used to love playing with balloons as a kid. The pop sound is loud an scary but I didn't mind it. It was fun. Hopefully your niece feels the same way and has some fun with the balloon instead of cutting out the stickers. Congrats on your new niece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to the happy family! And this is such a fun project :)

    xx.
    fashion and tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, that's wonderful news. A great idea with the balloon. You could even put little glittery petals and stars in as well, so they would rain down like confetti. Of course, the person who has to vacuum it all up probably won't thank you... But when you have girls I think you need to get used to glitter about the place, and the sooner the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute! I want to do something like this for my baby shower. I want to fill the balloons with a voucher for a prize. At the end everyone will have to pop the balloon that is tied to the chair they are sitting on and if they get it, they win! Thanks for the idea :)

    ♥, Brittney @ True Vintage Love
    http://www.truevintagelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super cute, and usually kids LOVE hearing balloons pop. I know whenever I was growing up and they were balloons we played with them for a while and then we played a game to see who could pop the most.. although your sister would just have to be wise enough to let her play with them when the baby's not asleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post is so adorable. you're really creative :) and ahh congrats on the new niece :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to your sister & the family! These balloons are awesome and such a great idea-- I think I'll use them in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Another girl! Sadie is such a cute name. Can't wait to watch those two girls grow. Please tell Krista and Ryan congrats for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute - I like that sweet DIY! =)
    - Che

    style-che.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so thoughtful! I bet she's going to love them! Can't wait to see pictures of the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh that's exciting! it always feels nice to welcome a new member of the family. and the balloons is a great idea! thanks for dropping by my blog too!

    xo, Carla
    www.CarlaViolet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're such a good aunt giving a gift package to the older sister too! We never did that in my family, but as the little sister, I can't say I've ever suffered for it. Good choice with the stickers! Kid gold indeed~

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!