Monday, August 19, 2013

AH...TO BE A KID AGAIN

Last week, Wade was out of town for a night visiting family.  I considered my options.  Stay in a house that had been recently infiltrated by bats or retreat to my (gloriously clean and bat free) parent’s house.  It wasn’t a hard decision in my book.  I don’t think I would have gotten a wink of sleep in my house alone...wondering if I was really alone.

There’s just something about going back home that immediately melts all my stress away.  I know the home I share with Wade is my home, and I love it so much.  My parent’s house, though, will always be my home, too.  Sometimes it’s just nice to feel like a kid again and have your mom take care of you.  And let me tell you, it was the best!  I don’t want to say it’s because I don’t do a very good job keeping our house clean (cough, cough), but it’s just another level of clean at my mom’s house.  Maybe it was more  in my mind, though, since I didn’t have to worry about there being transparent bat pee on my sheets. 

When I showed up at my parent’s house, my mom and I laughed so hard when we realized we were wearing practically the same outfit.  At least the colors were the same.  Peach, brown, and yellow purses.  I guess I’m turning into my mom, which I think is a-ok.  Maybe these cleaning skills will magically kick in, too, just like my affinity for certain colors.  Here’s hoping.

Ahhh…to be a kid again.  To be able to have not a care in the world except where you're going to ride your bike that day.  To have all the time in the world to sit around and day dream while you make up stories with your friend.  I know it wasn't all sunshine and puppies, but kids do have it pretty sweet.  I just want to pick up the next kid I see and shout at them to enjoy this time.  It'd be a win-win.  I'd feel that I had imparted some wisdom on the next generation, and they would have a story about some crazy lady in dirty clothes to tell their friends.  

If I could go back to any age, I'd pick 10.  I was old enough to do fun things, but the angsty teen years hadn't kicked in yet.  Do you ever wish you were a kid again?  What age?

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes when I'm exhausted from taking three boys out to have fun, and I have to come in and make tea, while they just wander off to have more fun, I look at their lives and think how nice it would to have just one day of being taken care of and doing what I want. But I am happy they get to have this time. Their turn of doing all the exhausting stuff will come. This is my turn to make their childhood's magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd only want to be a kid if I didn't have to grow up and could stay in elementary school. :) I've experienced way too many growing pains from middle school on. I love your relationship with your mom. I love that our parents still live in the house we grew up in. Some of my favorites at your place was watching the Spartan cheerleaders and Mary Catherine Gallagher with Chad and Julie. :) So I guess I should freeze time in middle school since that's where you came along...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7! The summer when I was 7! Overalls, swings, building forts, best friend neighbors. Those times were good. I'm starting to worry I care about too much these days, you know? It was nice just caring about a few simple things like what's for dinner and the art project you wanted to create next. Those things and your family. It's easy to care about them. I love that you and your mom are matchy-matchy. She sounds really nice. I don't know why I say that because you really just mentioned her cleaning and dressing skills in this post, but I just bet she's really nice. Just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha it's funny as if you and your mom had the same thing in mind. anyway i wouldn't know it feels living away from parents because although i spent a year away in college, i still currently live with them. hopefully i can move out sometime soon. but totally agree with being a kid again, sometimes we just need to be carefree haha.,

    xo, Carla
    www.CarlaViolet.com

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!