Friday, May 10, 2013

Neighborhood Watch

Last night was kind of scary.  I had just drifted off into a peaceful slumber, when I was woken up by the sound of a helicopter that seemed really close by.  The police were outside our house, canvassing our neighborhood and looking for some guys who had fled an attempted burglary. 

Just the day before, we had gone on one of our nightly walks around our neighborhood.  We walked up to a grocery store that is close by to get some things and then walked over to a pizza place to pick up dinner.  As we were walking back through the park I commented how much I love where we live.  We’re close enough to walk to places, and everything we need is right in this three block area.  I went on to say that even though we live near a busier road, it still feels like we live in a quiet little sleepy neighborhood.  I love that neighborhood feel, while still being close to city amenities.
This experience just made me realize that it's still important to keep your eyes open and to always keep watchful vigilance.  In fact, as I write this, Wade is staring out the window watching the street.  He does this all the time, though, mostly to spy on the neighbors.  
I hope the police caught the guys so they don’t have the ability to hurt anyone in the future.  It seems as I grow up, the world just gets scarier and scarier.  It’s important to open your eyes to be aware of your surroundings, but how do you maintain your laughter when there is so much sadness and uncertainty?  It gets so overwhelming that I have to just focus on little things that make me happy: reading an inspiring blog, making a colorful craft, or just watching mindless TV.  Everyone has their own coping mechanisms.  I woke up today and with the sun shining, the day turned into just another day.   Without focusing on the people in the world who inspire me and who are there to make my life better, I wouldn’t be able to leave the house.
What do you do to cope with the stresses of this crazy world we live in?  Have a safe weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. Scary! I'm so glad you guys are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similiar helicopter experience only I was dumb enough to open the door and walk outside to look. What an idiot I know. I have never really felt safe in our neighborhood though. I have always been extra careful. Even carry pepper spray and hold my keys so they poke through my fingers when I'm walking alone...just in case. You can never be too careful I think. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when stuff liked his happens. We've had a rush of break ins through our neighborhood too!

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each comment! I love hearing from you guys and treasure every one. I respond to comments via e-mail if you have yours enabled. This is going to be a great day!